Today there are drones for everyone, at all experience levels, and for all age groups. Even youngsters can get in on the action now. This is thanks to a whole new range of drones for kids.
Drones for beginners are not always suitable for kids under a certain age as a Dad I know already that my kid got is first drone it wasn’t easy for him to fly it outside and once we practiced it indoors it was much easier to fly then Nano drones for instance have designs that make flying them easier.
The last thing a kid wants to experience with their new drone is frustration and discouragement. None of the picks in this guide will cause these upsets.
Children have been interested in flying objects forever. Competing with paper airplanes has always been a great way to have fun. And kite flying continues to be popular. Now we have kid’s drones as ‘the next best thing’. They certainly provide heaps of fun. They can also help kids learn something about the technology and mechanics of their new flying robot check out more about nano drones here if you are a big fan of that growing tech Best Nano Drones
Things to consider when buying a drone for a child:
When choosing a quadcopter for a child, consider the age of the kid, safety, and cost of the quadcopter. In general, a kid under the age of ten would typically have less hand-eye coordination than a twelve year-old. If you are new to personal drones, check out what is a drone to get a quick 101 on unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) and quadcopter also you can take a look at this Best Drones Under $100 List to make sure you are getting the perfect buy. Most beginners will crash the quadcopter several times before they learn how to control a flying vehicle. We, The Drone Buying Advisor believe safety is paramount – the rotors can hurt little fingers and get tangled in their hair.
The following drones are collected for you here with the thinking of the best drones for kids as for safety budget and crashing performances to help you get the best drone.
Syma X5SW Explorers2 2.4G 4CH
Tenergy Syma X5SW Wifi FPV RC Quadcopter…
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
Syma X5SW Explorers2 2.4G 4CH is one the very best quadcopter to learn on. It is lightweight enough so that you can practice indoors without doing a lot of damage. It comes with spares for the parts that a beginner is most likely to break. It has 4CH with 6 Axis, 0.3 MP 480P camera, Ready to fly (just attach and tighten props). The right-hand controller can be configured for left hand throttle. Controller range is about 50 Meters. Flight time is about 7 minutes. It has a plastic body which is designed to be shatter resistant, another good feature for a beginner.
Holy Stone HS110D FPV RC Drone with 720P HD camera
Holy Stone HS110D FPV RC Drone with 720P HD…
- FOV 120° 720P HD FPV CAMERA: This high-quality camera captures memorable moments….
- ALTITUDE HOLD: It allows the rc quadcopter to suspend in mid-air even with your hands…
- HEADLESS MODE: Orientation of the drone is in relation to the pilot, easier to…
- MODULAR BATTERY AND CAMERA: 3.7V 1000mAh high capacity battery can support a…
Designed for beginners. Has the features that you need while learning to pilot a quadcopter. This quadcopter will provide many hours of fun.
Top features and Quick Spec:
- Ready to Fly (RTF)
- Size 12.6 x 12.6 x 4.70 in
- Weight 145 g
- Flight time: 10 min
- Recharge time 2 hrs
- Range: about 100 meters
- Blade guards
- HD CAMERA
- 120 degree Field of View (FOV)
- First Person view (camera makes it seem that you are inside the quadcopter.)
- Altitude hold feature allow to use a one button command to make it hover.
- Headless mode is easier to control the direction of flight because you don’t have to pay attention to where the HS110D front/back are.
- Can be controlled from the standard ground station or an app on your smart device.
- VR goggle compatible
- 3D stunts (flips)
- Emergency stop button.
- The gravity sensor in the ground station enables you to control direction of flight from the ground station by holding the ground station at an angle.
Syma X8HG 8MP HD Camera
GoolRC X8HG 8.0MP HD Camera RC Quadcopter…
- 8.0MP HD Camera : The 8.0MP camera works far better than 2.0MP or 0.3MP camera,…
- Barometer Set Height : When you free up the left joystick (Accelerator), the aircraft…
- Two Speed Modes : Which allows you to fly, for instance, in a small spaces with low…
- Headless Mode : By using Headless, the forward direction has nothing to do with nose…
Syma X8HG 8MP HD Camera is an affordable, very good toy-grade aerial photography drone.The camera is 8mp HD and takes 1080P or 720P videos at 30fps. The 6 axis gyro helps to give you a nice stable platform and it has an anti-vibration camera mount. The ground station transmitter can control it up to about 70 – 100 meters (depending on terrain and weather). It has helpful features such as altitude hold, headless mode and a two flight speeds (high and low) for a beginner drone pilot. Syma X8HG is an indoor and outdoor drone. It can do 3D flips, forward/backward, up/down. Left/right sideways flight and it has illuminating LED light for night time flying.
Parrot AR 2.0
Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 Elite Edition Quadcopter…
- Piloting is easy from a smartphone or tablet
- Remote control quadcopter controlled using an iOS or Android smartphone or tablet
- 720p high-definition live video streaming & recording to smartphone or tablet while…
- Record & share videos & pictures straight from AR. Free Flight piloting app
If you want a drone to fly indoors and outdoors, and to take photography and videography, and assuming you already have a smartphone (iPhone or Android), the Parrot 2.0 is a great first drone.
- Size: 28.8 inches.
- Weight: 14.8 oz.
- Flight time: 12 min.
- Recharge time: 60-90 minutes.
- Replaceable battery.
Control is via your smartphone (iPhone or Android) to see the drones eye view and control the drone is via a free app. ‘AR.FreeFlight 2.4’. Camera and controller range: 100 feet. (You can increase the range by buying a kit.). It has a return to home feature. If you can write code, you can program to fly the drone autonomously.
DJI Spark quadcopter
- Intelligent Flight ModesSmart, reliable, and incredibly intuitiveQuickShotVideos with…
- High-Performance CameraAmazing images and stabilized videoMechanical Gimbal…
- Flight PerformanceAwesome potential, immersive experiencesPowerful Propulsion Speed…
- Flight SafetyWorry-free flight in the palm of your hand ; Propeller guards are…
DJI Spark is a smart drone for a beginner. Why? The Spark requires no assembly. It is easy to setup after you charge up its battery and download its DJI GO 4 app. You can control this quadcopter using via DJI GO 4 app, or you can control the Spark using hand gesture (a tool we have since we were born). In the Gesture Control mode, Spark will move up, down, left or right, and take a picture of you – all controlled by your hand movement! Hand gesture controls make it easier for the pilot to control the quadcopter. When you are learning how to pilot a quadcopter, features which make it easier to pilot, are important when selecting beginner drones.
A quick glance at the spec of DJI Spark:
- Flight time = 16 minutes
- Control range = 1.2 mile
- Top speed = 31 mph in Sport Mode
- 2-Axis Stabilized Gimbal
- Camera is mounted on a gimbal
- 12MP Still Photos / 1080p/30 Video
- Gesture and TapFly Control
- Flight Autonomy with Obstacle Detection
- Subject Tracking from Various Angles
- GPS- & Vision Position-Based Navigation
- Control, Edit, Share with DJI GO App
DJI Spark is created by one of the leaders in the drone industry, DJI. This smart drone has many of the high-performance drone features such as flight autonomy with obstacle detection, subject tracking, GPS and vision based navigation – features to aid a beginner to learn how to pilot a quadcopter sooner. Its movements by hand gestures include:
- Rocket (shoot straight up, with camera pointing down.)
- Dronie (fly out with the camera aimed back at you.)
- Circle (fly in a circle around a target)
- Helix (Fly upward, spiraling around a subject)
- And up, down, left or right, and take a picture of you – all controlled by your hand gestures!
My neighbors just loved watching me control it with hand movements. A great beginner drone and a great way to make friends.